An author-centric model with the distribution muscle of a traditional publisher. | Business Model
You may be a good fit for Greenleaf Book Group if
- You're an author looking for a selective publisher with high quality standards, national distribution, sales-focused marketing services, and a smart, author-centric model.
- You're a self-publisher or small press looking for competitively priced, high-quality editorial, design, and production services.
- You're a self-publisher or small press with fewer than ten titles seeking national distribution and innovative, sales-focused marketing services.
It's an appropriate time to contact Greenleaf if
- You have a book proposal or idea with significant potential to thrive in America's retail book market. Greenleaf prefers to begin work on a project as early as possible and often collaborates with authors to define the project's content direction before the manuscript is complete.
- Your manuscript is complete and ready for professional editorial feedback or production. If Greenleaf is interested in publishing your work, we will produce an editorial diagnosis to identify the project's market viability and define a publication plan for your book.
- Your manuscript is ready for press or you need production services to prepare it for the printer. Greenleaf offers production services to small and independent publishers-even if we do not publish or distribute the title.
- Your book is at press or recently published. Though our post-production acceptance rate is very low, Greenleaf does distribute and market select titles from small presses and self-publishers. We're looking for projects with extraordinary production quality, marketing plans, and sales potential.
We are not interested in playing the lottery with our title list, hoping one hit can compensate for multiple failures, or in working with a high volume of low-producing, short-term projects. Rather, we guide our clients to two basic objectives:
Brand and Platform Development
One of our primary roles in the expansion of our clients’ businesses and careers is to help them expand their brands and profitability by identifying opportunities for new products and services. To do this, we work to develop a complete vision for their brands, including ancillary products such as corporate training programs, workbooks, webinar series, audio downloads, etc.
Multiple Print Runs
Small presses and independent authors increase their profit margins exponentially with subsequent print runs. We use our production, distribution, and marketing programs to help push the titles we publish and distribute into bigger profits.
How We Reach Our Goals
Greenleaf’s success is contingent upon the success of our clients, so reaching our goals means helping our clients reach theirs. We approach each project from an intelligent business perspective, armed with comprehensive knowledge and experience in the book industry. The following principles are at the core of our success.
To enter this industry is to accept the reality that more than 8,000 new books are published each day (more than 3,000,000 print books in 2011). To succeed, you must be able to compete with the big players in all areas: production, distribution, and marketing. If one link in this chain is broken, the project will be lost in the crowded book industry. We help our clients compete by minimizing production costs, maximizing quality, opening distribution channels, creating book industry awareness, and building successful brands.
At Greenleaf Book Group, we regard our clients as long-term partners. When we accept a new project, we assess its growth potential and commit to helping our client reach that potential.
Our success is rooted in the belief that publishing should be profitable and enjoyable for small presses and independent authors. We believe in thoughtful, strategic execution of business plans based on practical knowledge of the book industry. We are not in the business of selling dreams; we are in the business of building careers and growing small businesses.